The Idaho Cleanup Project (ICP) was created to help accelerate the environmental cleanup of the Department of Energy’s (DOE) Idaho Site. Over the decades since the site was established in 1949 on land once used as a Naval gunnery range, some areas of the site were contaminated with legacy wastes generated from World War II- and Cold War-era conventional weapons testing, government-owned research and power reactor development and testing, spent nuclear fuel reprocessing, laboratory research, and defense missions at the Idaho Site and other government sites.
As happened at many other DOE sites, the effort to clean up the legacy of the widely-varied and fast-paced work that took place at the Idaho Site over half a century began with a series of agreements that provided a legal and regulatory framework. The biggest and most far-reaching of these agreements was signed by DOE, the Environmental Protection Agency and the state of Idaho in 1991 under the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation & Liability Act (CERCLA).
This agreement, called the Federal Facility Agreement and Consent Order (FFA/CO), as well as DOE’s 1995 Settlement Agreement with the state of Idaho and others, was the impetus for extensive scientific investigations, public involvement and joint agency decisions covering potential problem areas at each of the nine facility areas at the site.
Challenging projects are still in store as the ICP workforce helps pave the way for the vital new energy, national security and other missions of the Idaho National Laboratory at DOE’s Idaho Site.